LOCATION: Hunt Valley, Maryland
DATE: January 2020
POSITION TITLE: Senior Manager of COBOL and C Applications
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
Founded in 1982, Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc. is the world’s largest distributor of English-language comics, graphic novels, games and pop culture products. Headquartered near Baltimore in Hunt Valley, MD, with facilities in Mississippi, New York, and England, Diamond is an international leader in an exciting, growing industry. Distributing the comics and collectibles that have inspired the biggest blockbuster movies of today, Diamond is integral to the success of this market.
Must have strong COBOL and/or C, C# programming skills.
The Senior Manager of COBOL and C Applications reports to the Director of Applications and the Chief Information Officer. This position is responsible for overseeing the applications team and providing hands on support to creation and maintenance of applications that support Diamond Comic business users. The primary responsibilities of this position will be to offer leadership and support to the programmers and technicians, design, develop, and maintain applications, troubleshoot issues through coordinating with business users, and maintain strong vendor relationships. This role will require a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and quality outcomes.
(65%) Application Maintenance Support
• Using COBOL and C# fix bugs and deploy patches with applications while monitoring strong change management controls
• Maintain strong security controls
• Coordinate testing efforts prior to rolling out any upgrades
(15%) Team Management and IT Leadership:
• Manage, mentor, and motivate a team a small team of programmers and support technicians.
• Support applications team members through monitoring assignments and offer assistance where needed
(10%) Production Control Management
• Collaborate with business users to maintain and evolve business applications
• Schedule jobs and monitor progress
• Troubleshoot system errors or bugs and resolve them to ensure users are able to work with software effectively
(10%) Application Development
• Develop custom applications to support the different functional areas of the business
• Support system interfaces with Warehouse Management Systems, Electronic Data Interfaces and the website
• Ensure code quality and maintain security architecture through industry best practices
• Coordinate user acceptance testing efforts to ensure smooth deployments
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 5-10 years of previous management experience
• 5-10 years of C / C# and Cobol experience
• Knowledge of Linux, AIX, and Windows environments
• Job scheduling using Unix shell scripting knowledge
• Experience with SQL Server and PostGresql
• Distribution / Manufacturing experience preferred to include: Distribution Management, Financial Management / Reporting, Inventory Mgt, Billing / Receivables / Lockbox, Procurement Mgt, General Ledger, Customer Order Processing, Tax, Warehouse Management, EDI Integration, and external system integration e.g. Warehouse Management, eCommerce Integration, etc.
• Regulatory understanding e.g. GDPR, PCI, etc.
• ITIL knowledge preferred including incident management, problem management, change management, ITSCM, availability management, capacity management, security management, release management, and configuration management
• SDLC Knowledge including release management, requirement determination, estimating, system design and testing, UAT, and implementation management
• Basic project management experience
• Some on call duty required
• Self-motivated and directed with strong organizational skills and keen ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills. Customer service oriented.
• Strong written and oral communication skills, ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Ability to train users and communicate procedures and changes related to technology.
Please forward resume and salary requirements.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers