The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of Service Technician. While the following information should be considered an outline of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed. Every person is expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
Summary: The Service Technician is responsible for maintaining the physical integrity of the community at all times. This involves ensuring a safe and secure living environment for residents, visitors and staff. It is the Service Technician's duty to correct any and all problems involving the physical aspects of the property as directed by the Service Manager and/or Property Manager. An effective program of maintenance is essential in order to:
• Maintain a safe environment.
• Cultivate resident satisfaction.
• Protect the investment of the Owner.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures; state and federal laws, e.g., OSHA, ADA, Fair Housing, etc.
• Performs maintenance tasks personally.
• Handles resident service requests. Correct situations within 24 hours when possible.
• Is available for emergency purposes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week not only when on call but in the case of emergency.
• Performs tasks associated with unit turnover.
• Attend scheduled safety meetings.
• Must be aware of the physical condition of the property throughout and immediately correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken glass leading to the pool, broken steps, trip hazards, open holes, and broken/burned out exterior lights.
• Complete resident requested service orders in a timely manner. (Standard turnaround time for completion of service requests is 24 hours, unless circumstances dictate otherwise.)
• Delivers accurate records regarding preventative maintenance, service requests (received and completed), expenditures and apartment make ready status, work in progress, etc.
• Complete all assigned maintenance work on vacant apartments within the Paradise Management standard of 7 days or 5 business days.
2 of 5
• Performs minor and routine maintenance on all equipment on a regular basis or as directed by Service Manager.
• Inspects and maintains tools and equipment and keeps them in excellent condition.
• Comply with all OSHA regulations and any applicable laws in your area regarding health, safety, or environment.
• Maintain thorough knowledge of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing property storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and refrigerants.
• Order maintenance supplies with approval from Service Manager.
• Train newly-hired Service Technicians and/or Porters.
• Ensure building lights and timers are working properly.
• Install new appliances as necessary.
• Assist Property Manager/office personnel as needed and in emergency situations.
• Consult with Property Manager and/or Service Manager on major repairs, replacements and/or contracts.
• Attend meetings and seminars as requested by Property Manager, Regional Property Manager or Service Manager.
• Must perform tasks associated with snow removal such as: shoveling, snow blower, plowing, salt spreading, calcium spreading, etc.
Must have the knowledge and ability to perform the following duties:
• Plumbing repairs
• Repair/replace locks, smoke alarms
• Replace screens
• Appliance repair
• Electrical repairs
• Roofing inspection/minor roof repair
• Change AC filters
• HVAC repairs (must have HVAC license)
• Extermination (Texas--must be certified)
• Replace broken windows
• Carpet and pad repair/replacement
• Assist with keeping grounds neat and free of litter.
• Performs work area clean up and safety related duties.
• Provides Service Manager with a list of needed inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials.
• Comply with OSHA regulations
• Comply with all state and federal laws, e.g.,ADA, Fair Housing, etc.
Position requires at least three years experience in property maintenance or equivalent field.
Required to wear back support belt, goggles when working with specific equipment, masks and gloves and other safety equipment as tasks dictate. Must have reliable transportation and some tools.
3 of 5
Monday through Friday with a minimum of 40 hours per week. Schedule and hours to be determined by Maintenance Supervisor and Property Manager; weekly schedule may change as required. It may be necessary to work weekends. Must be available for "on call" rotation schedule as determined by Service Manager and Property Manager. Must be available to work on snow removal as needed.
An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
• Hand Tools: Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, posthole diggers, etc.
• Power Tools: Wrenches, grinders, sanders, drills, saws, etc.
• User-Moved Aids: Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, step ladders, full ladders, double ladders, etc.
• Mechanical Equip: Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand power augers, etc.
• Measuring Devices: Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician(CAMT) desired
Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to be on feet.
Have constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
• Bend/Stoop/Squat: Perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up tools, materials and equipment.
• Climb Stairs: Service requests, make-ready needs for 2nd and 3rd floor apartments.
• Push or Pull: Move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc.
• Reach Above Shoulder: Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment, parts, etc.
• Climb Ladders: Perform routine maintenance/repairs.
• Grasp/Grip/Turning: Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs.
• Finger Dexterity: Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs.
• Writing: Inventory maintenance, requisition requests, required maintenance reports.
Lifting/Carrying (supplies, replacement parts, ladders, etc.):
• Over 150 lbs.: Rare need (less than 1% of the time).
• 75 lbs. - 150 lbs.: Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time).
• 25 lbs. - 75 lbs.: Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time).
• 1 - 25 lbs.: Constant need (66% to 100% of the time).
4 of 5
NOTE: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lbs. is to be accomplished with assistance from one or more persons. Examples of heaviest items lifted include washer/dryers, refrigerators, A/C units, abandoned sofas, furniture, etc.
Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to document maintenance and complete forms, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, respond to written instruction from staff and residents.
Constant need to see small detail when performing routine maintenance duties.
Frequent need (33% to 60% of the time) to see things clearly beyond arm's reach (oversee assistants, observe problems throughout the property).
Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents. Must use listening skills to diagnose needed repairs, etc.
Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to verbally communicate with supervisors, assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents.
Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment.
Performs duties under pressure and meets deadlines in a timely manner.
Works as part of a team, as well as completes assignments independently.
Takes instructions from supervisors.
Exercises problem-solving skills.
Interacts with co-workers, supervisors, guests and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to utilize personal transportation to pick up replacement parts and supplies from vendors. Rotation "on call" status may occasionally require expedient travel to assigned property at a moment's notice. Drive to the corporate office to make pick ups and deliveries.
Must have valid driver's license and automobile insurance coverage.
Indoors (66% to 100% of the time). Frequently outdoors (33% to 66% of the time), all conditions, often for extended periods in inclement weather.
Occasional exposure (1% to 33% of time) to paint fumes, solvents, adhesives, etc. Example: apartments during/after make-ready.
Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to work in awkward and confining positions.
HIGH. Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and initiate appropriate course of action. Must effectively convey ideas, images and goals to a diverse group of personalities.
5 of 5
Learns and complies with all company safety rules.
Use appropriate safety equipment at all times.
Immediately reports all unsafe conditions to supervisors.
Be familiar with all safety features of equipment, machinery, or materials encompassed by job duties.
Check with supervisor if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
Employees must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules and procedures of the company, including those set out in the Employee Handbook or otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and work responsibilities of the position. This job description and the duties of this position are subject to change, modification and addition as deemed necessary by the company. Employees are required to comply with supervisory instructions and perform other job duties, responsibilities and assignments requested by supervisors, managers or other company officials.
This job description does not constitute an employment contract between the company and any employee.
The job responsibilities of this position may include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or work area.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers