Blind Industries and Services of Maryland (BISM) is increasing production in our Baltimore sewing facility. We make military garments, such as Army and Air Force exercise jackets. We are also now making face masks. This is an exciting opportunity to join and build a career at our facility for experienced Sewing Machine Operators and trainees.
What you will be doing:
• Operates bartack, walking foot and lockstitch type sewing machines and sews to assemble cut pieces as provided as part of a pre-cut garment or product kit.
• Monitor machine operation to detect problems such as defective stitching, breaks in thread, or machine malfunctions.
• Position items under needles, using marks on machines, clamps, templates, or cloth as guides.
• Place spools of thread, cord, or other materials on spindles, insert bobbins, and thread ends through machine guides and components.
• Match cloth pieces in correct sequences prior to sewing them, and verify that dye lots and patterns match.
• Guide garments or garment parts under machine needles and presser feet to sew parts together.
• Start and operate or tend machines, such as single or double needle serging machines, to automatically join, reinforce, or decorate material or articles.
• Record quantities of materials processed.
• Inspect garments, and examine repair tags and markings on garments to locate defects or damage, and mark errors as necessary. Utilizes supplies such as fasteners and thread, according to job requirements.
• Basic math computation and reading comprehension skills are necessary.
• Must possess the manual skill to operate machines and complete job tasks.
• May be required to stand or sit for long periods.
• Prior sewing experience preferred, but not required, we will train.
Please see our website at www.bism.org/careerfor more information
This is a tremendous opportunity! We offer a competitive salary based on education, experience, and other qualifications. BISM offers comprehensive benefits including medical, prescription, dental, vision, life, 403(b), tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, and more!
Each year BISM provide programs and services that serve over 2000 blind citizens. BISM employs 700 exceptional Associates at our twelve facilities in Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Kentucky and North Carolina where we manufacture the highest quality products.
Blind Industries and Services of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers