Prax is a non-traditional accounting firm in MD that is in need of a bookkeeper with solid experience working in QBO. While most of our team is remote, this position requires on-site visits and remote work for our clients.
QR Code Link to This Post
Every day will be different and will be a combination of remote and on-site client work. Your clients could be in Rockville, Frederick, Annapolis, or anywhere else with less than an hour commute from 21045 (Prax does pay a weekly fuel reimbursement). You will need reliable transportation, professional clothing, and have a collaborative personality. Hours are flexible, so there's plenty of room to puzzle together a schedule that will meet client needs while avoiding rush hour traffic.
The bulk of work takes place during business hours, but the primary goal is to keep the client happy. This could mean eves, weekends, holidays, etc as needed if the client feels a matter cannot wait. We do have backup team members to fill in during vacation or emergencies. We also offer in-house IT support to ensure tech issues don't interrupt our workflow.
You MUST meet the following requirements:
- YOU LOVE ACCOUNTING
- you enjoy variety and flexibility
- you are self-motivated to learn and 'think outside the box'
- you are 100% reliable, on time, responsive, and able to follow due dates
- you are highly organized and able to track multiple projects and remember details of each
- you have at least 2 years' experience in bookkeeping (various industries)
- you are tech savvy and are able to learn new programs quickly!!
- you care about the details, the nitty gritty...you are a perfectionist by nature
- you are willing to pitch in wherever you can to accomplish goals
- you are personable and professional
- you are looking for year-round work
- you have full-time flexible availability
- you have a robust and up-to-date laptop computer and portable scanner for on-site visits
- you have a home office setup that allows you to perform all bookkeeping functions and attend meetings remotely (monitors, webcam, audio, printer, etc)
- you are willing to be listed on our website as a team member, complete with headshot and bio (we'll help with this)
We would highly prefer you meet the following as well:
- you are 100% confident working with all versions of QBD and QBO
- you have QBO certifications
*** SCOPE OF WORK ***
Weekly duties include (though not limited to):
- weekly team meeting (9:30am conf call every Friday)
- on-site visits throughout each week (approx. 2/3 of your time will be on-site, 1/3 will be remote work)
- follow up with client on any outstanding or pending action items
- full-cycle bookkeeping, including A/R, A/P, payroll, and reconciliations
Monthly duties include (though not limited to):
- monthly review team meeting with client
- monthly health check of the books
- identify and address red flags or action items before monthly close
- research, develop, and implement action plans w/Team Prax
Quarterly duties include (though not limited to):
- quarterly health check of the books w/team
Annual duties include (though not limited to):
- year-end and year-start strategy meetings w/client
- annual team review of the books prior to closing
- 1099 preparation for our clients (w/team)
PRAX' NUMBER ONE PRIORITY IS CLIENT SATISFACTION. OUR CLIENTS NEED TO FEEL LIKE YOU CARE ABOUT THEIR BUSINESS AS MUCH AS THEY DO. This is not the job for a passive bookkeeper that will overlook mistakes, not follow up on questions, or put things off. We want a team member that has ideas on how to improve, notices the details, and proves to the client every week that you care about their business as much as they do.
A few things to know about us: We don't push due dates unless it is unavoidable and due to circumstances outside our control. We have a zero tolerance policy for ignoring client needs, and our clients' peace of mind is a need. We also don't tolerate unethical or questionable accounting practices, even if a client requests it - the client will be terminated if they consistently violate this.
If you are interested in this role, please email either a link to a short video or a well-written cover letter (attach a pdf of your resume regardless) to hiringATpraxaccounting.com specifically answering the following questions:
1) are you QBO certified? If so, which certifications?
2) do you have reliable transportation and are able to drive at least an hour to/from client offices?
3) what motivates you most as an employee? Be honest and bonus points if you make us laugh :-)
If we consider you, we will request 3 references specific to your work as a bookkeeper and we will require a background check.
We would like to start with a 90-day probationary period, then assess and renew for a year if all is working well. Health, dental, and vision insurance after 90 days, plenty of training and perks, and a kickass team.